All of the house safety maintenance checklist items listed below are extremely important for household members, especially for children. While performing home inspections I’ve noticed that many home owners, parents of small children, are simply not aware about the critical safety issues in their homes. They don’t realize that sometimes things need to be updated / replaced to perform as required, and to provide protection.
House roof asphalt shingles maintenance process can be divided into three steps and performed twice a year – fall, and spring (unless you notice something alarming in between the roof maintenance checkups). This will give you a more complete picture of the asphalt shingles roof condition, even if it is a brand new roof – trust me.
Put this task on top of your house maintenance schedule, as soon as you spot a problem, don’t delay any repairs – do it before you start remodeling interior of your property.
Step 1 – Asphalt shingles roof exterior evaluation
Step 2 – Asphalt shingles roof decking / house ceiling and attic evaluation
Step 3 – Asphalt shingles roof repairs and replacement
Amount of the required house roof asphalt shingles maintenance depends on the property surroundings, roof shape, shingle colors, quality of the workmanship, attic or cathedral ceiling ventilation, your geographical location, etc.
House exterior maintenance performed during the last days of summer and through the fall season should prepare your property for the cold weather extremes.
Follow the list and pick whatever applies to your property, don’t delay it until the next year.
1. Start your exterior preventive house maintenance by checking the roof surface for any damage and repair it if necessary, inspect flashing around penetrations, seal the gaps.
Remember that climbing the ladder and walking the roof is dangerous, you must be comfortable with it! Get a professional help if necessary – this also applies to some of the following list items.
2. Inspect chimney exterior walls for deterioration, ensure that its top is sealed around the flue, and has a rain cap installed.
Newer attempt to use a house chimney to support the ladder – it’s a general warning, but in many cases following it might save your life.
Anytime house maintenance explains a few of the house components that do not necessarily depend on seasonal preventive repairs. Of course, based on your observation of those components, and their quality, you can implement some kind of a schedule that will help in monitoring and servicing.
1. Change or clean your forced air heating / AC system filter every 1-4 months based on type and usage.
2. Replace caulking / silicon around your tub, shower stall and sink whenever it starts separating from surfaces.
3. Inspect your bathroom tiled walls for cracks and missing grout – fill the gaps as soon as possible to prevent water penetration and tile backing wall damage.
4. Periodically check the main water shutoff valve and individual plumbing fixtures valves – might leak if left untouched for several years, might not operate at all and start leaking if you force them to turn. If it turns freely, open it all the way, and then back up a little – this helps to prevent the valve from being stack.