Pressure washers are cleaning products used for domestic and commercial use – their power helps to remove dirt from surfaces easily by expelling water through a high-force pressure system driven by a motor.
This motor can be electric or gasoline and, unlike normal garden hoses, the pressure washer can be more efficient to clean than any other appliance.
One of the advantages of the pressure washer is that it saves water consumption without reducing the cleaning power. On the contrary, it uses the necessary water when working.
It is ten times more powerful than any hose for everyday use and experts recommend using it if you want to pay less in the municipal water service.
In this article, we will tell you about what not to do when pressure washing pavers or also share some safety tips.
How To Use a Pressure Washer
For the pressure washer to start working, it must be connected to a water supply, such as a garden hose. However, there are models that bring a tank to be filled with water, thus avoiding connecting it to any other device.
Most machines have an on/off button and, in some modern designs, you can adjust the water pressure.
The motor is essential for the operation of the pressure washer since it operates the pump that pressurizes the water, then the water emerges at high pressure. The hose of these devices uses a fine nozzle at its tip so that the water is expelled pressurized.
In some models, cleaning products can be included to make washing the surface more effective.
- The first safety measure is to read the use and operation manual of your pressure washer. Knowing how to use your equipment correctly is essential.
- Improper use can cause accidents and damage. The water pressure can become powerful enough to injure you. In addition, detaching objects at high speeds while cleaning can also be a hazard.
- There are some basic recommendations to prevent these types of incidents. One of them is not to direct the water jet against animals or people, nor towards electrical installations.
- It is better to prevent the use of this machine by children or people who lack proper training. Also, do not use it when it is raining.
- The power plug, in the case of electric models, must be handled with dry hands. If it is damaged, it is better to stop using the device.
- In the case of machines that work with fuel, it is better to use them in the open air or with sufficient ventilation since the gases released are extremely toxic in high concentrations and can even cause death.
- An essential measure is to wear eye protection when using the pressure washer.
- Avoid operating the pressure washer from ladders or anywhere at height. The force of the pressure can be so great that you lose your balance and fall.
- Wear closed shoes or boots, gloves, and long work pants when using your pressure washer.
It is important to perform a test in less visible places to verify that the pressure used or the spray mode does not cause damage to the surface to be cleaned.
It is necessary to take this care, especially in delicate materials such as wood or some vehicles, as very strong pressure can tear the paint off.
It is recommended to use the pressure washer using an angle of attack of about 45 degrees because if you clean with a direct jet, the dirt will shoot in all directions.
It is also recommended that the minimum distance between the surface and the sprayer is 30 centimetres.
If you are going to clean glass, it is better to use the minimum pressure to avoid the risk of breakage.
It is better to use specialized products to avoid damaging the equipment and achieve better cleaning results, especially in professional settings, such as workshops, industry, and the food sector.
Some brands are friendly to the environment and guarantee less contamination by wastewater, as their formulas guarantee easy degradation.
Pressure washers can be used for tasks that may not have occurred to you before, such as removing all traces of grease and dirt from your grill or getting rid of cobwebs or wasp nests.
It is also recommended to clean the filters, as their clogging would affect the pressure with which the pressure washer sprays. Higher performance and lower consumption are the promises of pressure washers.
Review the variety of models available on the market and choose the one that best suits your needs.